Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Pumpkin Patch

As far as I'm concerned, it's not really autumn (autumn sounds so much prettier than fall) until our annual trip to the pumpkin patch. It was really a trip too. We drove about an hour to get there, but it was totally worth it. I love the orange and green in the background of the pictures. Even in black and white, the ground and vines create such a beautiful texture. I also love how the images I take every year at the pumpkin patch document how much the kids have grown since the last October.

When I take photographs at the pumpkin patch I really try to let the kids wander around and do what they will as I snap candid images. I give them a little direction. When my youngest found the pumpkin he wanted, I asked him if he wanted to sit on it so I could take his picture with his pumpkin. He was happy to comply. :)

As always, it's important to shoot while the camera is at eye level with your kids. (alternatively I shoot from straight above them so the ground sort of becomes the backdrop for the picture) I always plan to take photos during the last 45 min or so before sunset as there is not any shade out in the field. And, taking pictures in the middle of a sunny day without shade is not ideal. This time of year, sunset is pretty early, so it doesn't interfere with the little one's bedtimes.


Just want to add a side by side comparison to illustrate the point I made earlier in this post about lighting.  The photograph on the left was taken close to sunset and the one on the right was shot in the middle of the day with no shade.


Bright sun causes distracting shadows on faces. Sometimes it can't be helped and you will be in the bright sun and want to take a picture. I mitigated this situation by making sure that the light was coming from his side as much as possible. It even helped that his head happened to be tilted in this frame. The sun was to his left and a little above him. When he tilted his head, the sun that was shining down on top of his head was now effectively shining across the side of his face instead. Looks pretty darn cute too. Lucky me! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment